Spiga

Hows Your Business Form

Writen by Bill James-Wallace

Being in business is a tough job. Many business owners work so long it hurts.

If you take the advice of my personal trainer, hurting is the place where you grow.

I decided to get a personal trainer when I just got sick and tired of not staying in shape.

I know it's all up to me and if I had any discipline at all, I'd do it all myself.

Then I thought "Tell Ian Thorpe that!"

Anyway, having a personal trainer is not the point of this.

It's about holding your form.

Briefly …

What I've learned from my PT is that it isn't just enough to pull/push weights. It's about doing it correctly so you gain the full benefit. It means pulling the weight all the way down, or up and holding your back straight as well as tightening your abdominals.

In the end the results come quicker and are better because you've been doing it right.

So, how is your business form?

I hear many business owners say: "Don't worry, it's hurting!" and I'd agree. As I said when I started this post, being in business is tough.

Now let me ask you another question (one I ask myself continually):

Are you doing each thing correctly?

Ahh, now there may be a pause before you answer this time.

I hear responses of:
"I'm doing me best."
"I don't know any other way."
"Are you questioning my work ethic?"

I'm certainly not questioning anyone's efforts.

I am questioning technique though. Technique can make a huge difference.

Here are some thoughts for you:

On the topic of client service:
1. Do you contact your current clients regularly?
2. Have you surveyed them recently as to how you're doing?
3. Have you asked them how you might improve your service to them?

On the topic of focus:
1. Have you got a well defined, written business plan?
2. Are you following it?
3. Do you have the resources to accomplish it?
4. Is there anything you're doing that you should stop doing?

On the topic of progress:
1. What have you implemented in the last 12 months that you'd call significant?
2. What have you had to prune form your business?
3. What changes ahead do you see and how are you preparing for them?

On the topic of process:
1. Are you and your team fully conversant with your policies?
2. Are critical work practices written down and easy to follow/learn?
3. Can new staff get up to speeed quickly?
4. Are you keeping abreast with developments in your industry?

It's a lot to consider. However, form and technique are critical to a successful business and an enjoyable career.

And yes, putting these things in place may cause some pain (alright it WILL) but in the end, you'll be more streamlined, focused and able to deal with the challenges that come your way far quicker and easier than before.

Bill James-Wallace helps his clients grow their business through better and more strategic customer relationships. Drawing on his 18 years experience in the financial industry as a Sales Manager and Manager of Training & Development, he helps business owners play on the same field as corporates.

Bill can be contacted at bill@resultdrivensolutions.com

0 comments: